Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Shannon's Version of "The Moon's a Harsh Mistress"

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Mike Joyce

Re: Shannon's Version of "The Moon's a Harsh Mistress"

Post by Mike Joyce »

Yes I can see that Cowpoke. I think it would be great to hear Shannon, sing some of Glen's other ballards as I think his voice has a light touch and he seems to have a good vocal range as well. I must thank you jay for sharing the video as this is one of my very favourite of Glen/Jimmy songs. I thought it was a strange comment in the Wichita book that Jimmy felt Wichita is "just another song to me" but on reflection, considering all those other great songs Jimmy has written he must feel that some of his other great work seems neglected, perhaps. unfairly. This comment is really in the wrong thread, so feel free to respond in the correct one.
Best wishes,
Mike

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

Hi Mike, so glad to chat with you again! 😊 Yes a simplified version with Shannon’s vocals would be great. At some point I almost got the idea that Shannon was trying to do TJ’s intricate piano arrangement... on guitar! Crazy stuff, but very impressive.

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce »

Hi Cowpoke. Yes I agree with you. He plays a beatiful arrangement and sings the song well , but I think it would be a great instrumental arrangement and done as a simplified guitar version where Shannon can focus on the singing and project the song a bit more. He has a very pleasant voice and a simple arrangement would work well. I take my hat off to the guitar work though. I assume he worked out that arrangement himself. The acorn doesn't fall far from the tree.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke »

This is a very complex guitar arrangement Shannon is doing here. He added all these melodic lines and licks, some are speeded up. It's impressive. And it kinda gets in the way of his singing and bringing the song across. But he's pushing himself here and I like that.

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...
jay

Shannon's Version of "The Moon's a Harsh Mistress"

Post by jay »