Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Miscellaneous Guitars Glen Has Played

A look at the history behind many of the guitars Glen has used throughout his career.
jay

Glen Plays a Danelectro Longhorn 6 String Bass on Wichita Lineman

Post by jay »

By all accounts, when Glen recorded Wichita Lineman, he used Carol Kaye's Danelectro 6-string bass to do the improvised solo. Although I have never found a witness account as to which model it was, the Danelectro Longhorn is mentioned occasionally. {Sidenote - Carol Kaye's Longhorn was later stolen out of her car and never recovered}

Danelectro Longhorn 6 String Bass
Danelectro Longhorn 6 String Bass
danelectro1.jpg (23.77 KiB) Viewed 43316 times

The Danelectro Longhorn Model 4623 was introduced in 1958. After a quick re-location of the treble pickup farther back on the body in 1959, the Longhorn basses survived through the 1960s with only minor alterations.

Were they a baritone electric guitar or a bass? There is no definitive answer, but you can certainly tell they are neither a bass or standard electric. Every studio has one or a Fender VI because of their unique sound.

In 2002 MTV reported:
"STP bassist and songwriter Robert DeLeo has spoken in interviews about his love for the country-pop performed by Johnny Cash, Jimmy Webb and especially Campbell. And last year, Campbell's budding musician son Cal introduced his dad to the music of the Pilots. Soon after one of Campbell's Los Angeles shows, the band went backstage and met the legendary singer/songwriter. They all got along so well, Campbell invited DeLeo, his guitarist brother Dean and drummer Eric Kretz to record versions of classic cuts such as "Wichita Lineman" and "By the Time I Get to Phoenix" with him. They also worked on additional new material for Campbell and the band to record together, but by all accounts, their version of “Wichita Lineman” was the sole collaboration that was completed."
And what instrument did Glen choose to use during the recording....a Danelectro Longhorn.

jay

Glen Plays a Fender Bass VI

Post by jay »

Fender VI.jpg
Fender VI.jpg (321.15 KiB) Viewed 43362 times

The Fender Bass VI, originally known as the Fender VI, has a bit of a split personality. It was designed and offered as a special kind of bass guitar during its original run from 1961 to 1975. It is perhaps best described as an elaborate cross between a Jazz Bass and a Jaguar guitar (which debuted in 1962, a year after the Bass VI). Fender has re-released the instrument several times to reemerge from the pages of Fender history to put its distinctive stamp on contemporary music and deliver its unmistakable sound to a new generation of players eager to have authentic sounds at their disposal.

Fender VI head.jpg
Fender VI head.jpg (28.65 KiB) Viewed 43362 times
Fender VI body.jpg
Fender VI body.jpg (55.45 KiB) Viewed 43362 times

That "authentic sound" jumps out at you when Glen used a Fiesta Red model in this video of Wichita Lineman.

jay

60's Fender Precision Bass

Post by jay »

The first Precision Bass was produced in October 1951. Leo Fender borrowed a lot of characteristics from the Telecaster at the time, including the headstock, neck plate, truss rod nut, and control knobs. The 1957 headstock was made in the image of the first 1955 Stratocaster and remains today. The Beach Boys Brian Wilson received his first Precision Bass as a gift from his father in December 1961. It is unknown if Brians first P bass was the one used on tour in the 60's or another one. It is unknown where any of Brians white P basses are, that were used in the 60s.

Glen toured with the Beach Boys from December of 1964 until March of 1965. It appears that during that time he used Brians's white Fender Precision bass. Brian had replaced the original pickguard with a white one (I am assuming to match the pants)

It also appears that when Bruce Johnston took over for Glen, he used the same bass.

GC w Fender Precision Bass.jpg
GC w Fender Precision Bass.jpg (52.54 KiB) Viewed 46870 times
GC BB.jpg
GC BB.jpg (219.54 KiB) Viewed 46870 times
GC BB P Base.jpg
GC BB P Base.jpg (345.95 KiB) Viewed 46870 times
Bruce Johnston w Brians Fender P Bass
Bruce Johnston w Brians Fender P Bass
Bruce Johnston replaced Glen Campbell and he played a similar pre-65 olympic white p with mint guard..jpg (88.96 KiB) Viewed 46870 times

jay

Fender Japan TLCC-150 Telecoustic CLB

Post by jay »

Glen at the Grand Palace in the early 90's..jpg
Glen at the Grand Palace in the early 90's..jpg (55.27 KiB) Viewed 50304 times

Glen is seen in this picture with an original Fender Teleacoustic made in Japan. They typically had an African mahogany body and neck with a rosewood fretboard (648mm scale length) and a Fender USA piezo pickup w/ an active preamp.

Here is a stock picture. These guitars were a poor substitute for using an Ovation EA-68 VIper, like Glen typically was seen with.

fender.jpg
fender.jpg (64.18 KiB) Viewed 50304 times

jay

Glen Campbell with an Ovation Adamas 2080

Post by jay »

Glen with a 2080 Ovation Adamas.jpg
Glen with a 2080 Ovation Adamas.jpg (145.07 KiB) Viewed 51431 times
Kim went through a period of several photo sessions with Glen and guitars. This appears to be one of the outtake photos.

The Ovation Adamas 2080 was built in the USA Ovation Custom Shop, it was designed with the best elements of the early Adamas guitars and the best and latest technology used on the newer Adamas guitars. A key aspect setting this Adamas 2080 apart from any other 2080 (besides the amazing sound) is the hand-laid fiberglass contoured bowl. The top was also special. Ovation made the soundboard from a 2x2 twill carbon fiber prepreg supplied by Gurit (USA) Inc. (Bristol, R.I.). This soundboard had a birch core with grain-oriented along the 0° axis (in the direction of the neck).

Adamas 2080.jpg
Adamas 2080.jpg (111.85 KiB) Viewed 51431 times

jay

Glen Campbell with a 30's Carl Fischer Imperial "Style B" Archtop Guitar by Regal

Post by jay »

The Chicago based Regal Musical Instrument Company was one of America's largest guitar manufacturers for most of the first half of the 20th century. Founded in 1908, Regal introduced its first hand carved archtops in 1932. Though best known for producing Dobro and other house-brand instruments, Regal maintained a Custom Shop to produce hand-carved archtops of professional quality for brands such as Bacon and Day, Recording King, Fischer, and others.

Carl Fischer Music was established in 1872, when Carl Fischer opened a musical instrument repair shop in the East Village neighborhood of New York. He also sold music and imported musical instruments from Europe. Over the following years the business expanded, eventually moving into a new headquarters in Cooper Square, Manhattan in 1926. From the 1920s to 1950s Carl Fischer sold guitars, most likely made by the big Chicago manufacturers like Harmony amd Regal.

When the first "A Better Place" video was filmed, we see Glen, in what appears to be a (his?) residence sitting by the windows playing a Fischer "B" Imperial that appears to be in mint condition.

Glen with a Fischer Imperial Style B Archtop.jpg
Glen with a Fischer Imperial Style B Archtop.jpg (74.06 KiB) Viewed 53454 times
Glen Campbell Playing a Fischer Imperial Style B Archtop.jpg
Glen Campbell Playing a Fischer Imperial Style B Archtop.jpg (84 KiB) Viewed 53454 times
Here is a Fischer Imperial "Style B" Archtop that recently was offered for sale.

Fischer Imperial Style B Archtop.jpg
Fischer Imperial Style B Archtop.jpg (139.42 KiB) Viewed 53454 times

jay

Glen Campbell Using Waterstone Guitars

Post by jay »

Waterstone was based in Nashville, Tennessee USA. They specialized "in guitars and basses with unique designs and a dedication to quality." It appears that Waterstone guitars can still be purchased through REVERB and are produced in East Hampton, NY through "Mod Guitars".

Glen used a couple of Waterstones guitars for his "Ghost on a Canvas" video. The president of Waterstone released this statement:
Recently Glen Campbell released “Ghost on the Canvas”, his farewell tour album. We were honored to have him playing not one, but two of our Waterstone instruments. In the video “Ghost on the Canvas”, you’ll see a Splash Carnaby and a Powder Blue Cumulus. We are planning on reissuing the Cumulus model to our current line. Thanks to all who worked on the video and a special thanks to Kii Arens.
This is the only picture of the "Splash Blue Cumulus" I could find Glen playing in the video...

waterstone splash blue cumulus.jpg
waterstone splash blue cumulus.jpg (34.44 KiB) Viewed 53524 times

Here is the only picture of a "Splash Blue Cumulus" I could find...although the one Glen used had a "Waterstone" headstock.

waterstone splash blue cumulus1.jpg
waterstone splash blue cumulus1.jpg (75.06 KiB) Viewed 53524 times

The "Splash Carnaby" Waterstone, will look more familiar, and it was seen several times in the video. As the finish was designed by Kii Arens (who produced Ghost on a Canvas), it is the only one created with that design.

GlenCampbell_SeeYouThere_PressShot_Sm(2).jpg
GlenCampbell_SeeYouThere_PressShot_Sm(2).jpg (171.44 KiB) Viewed 53524 times

Robert J. Singer, President of Waterstone Musical Instruments, LLC, emailed with clarifications:
Glen played a Powder Bleu Cumulus model (2003)
He also played a Kii Arens”La La”Carnaby model that is iconic...

You can see how the design on the "La La Carnaby" model is in line with artwork done by Kii Arens

jay

Did Glen Use This Vintage Gibson J-200 in 2009 Video?

Post by jay »

Glen Campbell and James Burton 1966
Glen Campbell and James Burton 1966
1956 Gibson J-200.jpg (44.69 KiB) Viewed 54853 times

In this 1966 picture, we see Glen with a sunburst '56 Gibson J-200. Glen would later be seen with a vintage 50's J-200 in his "A Better Place" video. Was it the same guitar?

A Better Place 1956 Gibson J-200
A Better Place 1956 Gibson J-200
Guitars , Glen J-200 3.jpg (119.94 KiB) Viewed 54853 times

Read about the inlay on this guitar HERE

Maurice

Re: Miscellaneous Guitars Glen Has Played

Post by Maurice »

I am a big fan of Glen and I also noticed that he used different types of guitars. I think he owned most of those guitars as I read in some magazine. He delivers great melody every time.

jay

Glen Campbell with a Gibson ES-175 with Dusty Carroll and Ronnie McKinney in 1954

Post by jay »

ES-175.jpg
ES-175.jpg (109.38 KiB) Viewed 56497 times

The ES-175 debuted in 1949, as Gibson's mid-level laminate top alternative to the L-5 and as an electric version of the L-4. It was also the first Gibson electric to feature a stylish F hole. The ES-175 was designed to be a cheaper alternative to Gibson's high-end archtop models.

Glen Campbell (l) Ronnie McKinney (c) Dusty Carroll (r)
Glen Campbell (l) Ronnie McKinney (c) Dusty Carroll (r)
Glen on the left, Ronnie McKinney center and Dusty Carroll.jpg (606.2 KiB) Viewed 56497 times

Glen left Lindrith NM somewhere near the end of 1952 and headed for Houston, Texas. At some point he met Dusty and Ronnie and joined their band. Dusty Carroll was nice enough to share the following information with me.
"Glen was just 15 I think when he came to Houston. His Brothers lived here so he lived with them. From the time I knew him, Glen was a master on the guitar like his Uncle Boo, who supposedly taught Glen. Glen came to Pasadena I believe in '52 0r '53. Ronnie and I had a Saturday morning radio show in Baytown and Glen was not a part of that. I think Ronnie hired him when he was introduced by another friend-musician, Wesley Ford. Ronnie was fascinated by Glens talent. We worked together for quite a while. Then Glen went to Albuquerque. Glen asked me to go with him to Albuquerque but I was married at the time and could not leave that responsibility."

Dusty added:
"We played in several clubs, Some I don't remember the name. We played the Sylvan club in LaPorte, Dancetown in Jacinto City, and yes we Played several outdoor joints on the beach in Galveston. Ronnie's first band name was Pasadena Playboys and it changed to Westernaires. Glen and I played a few jobs with The Hillbilly G I's."
Concerning the above picture, Dusty shared...
"The year was 1954. My first son was born that year. It was after Glen went to Albuquerque. He just came back for a visit. We played in my parents living room."
Dusty wrote the following lyrics about their time with Glen:

RONNIE, GLEN AND ME
© 1993 DUSTY CARROLL

THREE STOOGES SOMETIMES, BLIND MICE TOO
BUT ALWAYS WE WERE THREE
WE LAUGHED OUR WAY THROUGH TEENAGE YEARS
OLD RONNIE, GLEN AND ME

WE CALLED OURSELVES THE MUSKETEERS
WHEN TIME AND YOUTH WERE FREE
WHAT CARES WE HAD, WE SHARED TOGETHER
RONNIE, GLEN AND ME

THROUGH OLD USED CARS AND CHEAP GUITARS
WE DREAMED WE’D SOMEDAY BE
AMOUNG THE GRAND OLD OPRY STARS
FOR ALL THE WORLD TO SEE

BUT FORTUNE CALLED AND FATE DECREED
THAT ONLY GLEN WOULD BE
THE ONE TO FULFILL ALL THE PLANS
HE MADE WITH RON AND ME

WE WATCHED HIS CLIMB TO STARDOM’S FAME
AND HOPED THAT THERE MIGHT BE
A CHANCE TO MAKE THE BIGTIME TOO
FOR RONNIE AND FOR ME

BUT THAT WOULD NEVER COME TO PASS
JUST WASN’T MEANT TO BE
NO STARDUST PATH, NO OPRY STAGE
NO FAME WE’D EVER SEE

NOW MEM’RIES SOMETIME TAKE ME BACK
TO TIMES THAT USED TO BE
WHEN PLANS WERE ALWAYS POSSIBLE
AND DREAMS WERE ALWAYS FREE

AND ALTHOUGH FORTUNE PASSED ME BY
I KNOW THERE’LL ALWAYS BE
THOSE HAPPY TIMES AND MEMORIES
OF RONNIE, GLEN AND ME
Attachments
Ronnie McKinney (l) Glen Campbell (c) Dusty Carroll(r)
Ronnie McKinney (l) Glen Campbell (c) Dusty Carroll(r)
Ronnie McKinney, Glen Campbell, Dusty Carroll.jpg (36.44 KiB) Viewed 56497 times