Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Glen Campbell's Studio Sessions

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
admin
Site Admin

Re: Glen's Studio Sessions

Post by admin »

Posted on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 06:16 am:

That is an awesome find Arlw! So you can hear Glen singing those songs? How cool! Would love to know more about these.

It'll be fun to research those songs a little more.

For instance, "Hollywood Wheels" was apparantly recorded by Ken Rogers on National Records in 1967.

http://thatsallritemama.blogspot.com/20 ... ional.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.45rpmrecords.com/ST/pop/19259.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The song has been cowritten by Ben Weisman, a songwriter who wrote a lot of songs for Elvis Presley. Ben Weisman has mentioned Glen in interviews several times over the years as a talented singer on some of his song demos.

http://jewishcurrents.org/november-16-t ... ssor-12872" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"You only think of me" is also a Ben Weisman/Sid Wayne song, apparantly picked up by Jimmy Dean for his 1967 album "Jimmy Dean is Here".

http://www.lpdiscography.com/?page=disc ... um&album=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; 749

What is fascinating to me, is that around 1967, Glen was still singing on song demos. I always thought he only did that earlier on in his career as session man.

-Cowpoke

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 06:00 pm:

From my DJ guy here in Dallas-we exchanged a few emails but I wanted to pass this onto you all as I haven't heard of these Glen songs-they came out in Acetate.

So here's a weird turn. A few weeks ago I bought a bunch of songwriter demo acetates from the estate of Sid Wayne. He wrote a lot of stuff for a lot of people and the platters I have are from 1950-1973. Along the way - he hired a lot of session singers to perform those demos. I suspect Glen is on several of them. I'll include a few mp3's here. Let me know if I've spotted some unknown Glen. I wrote him back and confirmed for him that the tunes sent are Glen Campbell! Take a look at the titles! I don't have them!

RESTLESS-CAMPBELL

YOU ONLY THINK OF ME

SANDS OF TIME

DUST ON MY SHOES

HOLLYWOOD WHEELS

From the DJ- Many are on different labels from different studios. The common point is that are songs that Sid Wayne had a hand in writing - he was mostly a lyrics guy.

Very interesting info!!!! More as I get it!

-Arlw

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 12:08 pm:

Another Gene Vincent with Glen!

Gene Vincent: Volume 4 – Rebel Heart – CDMF-097. Release date is January 1996 on the MAGNUM Label, made and imported from the United Kingdom. The Magnum Music Group-the Leading Independent. The recording is studio/live. Special Thanks to STOMPER TIME RECORDS. Issued Under License from ROLLIN’ DANNY RECORDS. Glen Campbell is credited on this CD for playing the Acoustic Guitar. Other performers are Al Casey, Dave Burgess, Red Rhodes, Jim Seals. There are 21 songs on this CD. This was a special order CD.

The write up is from my collection.

-Arlw

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 12:05 pm:

Gene Vincent Ain't That Too Much 18 Tracks CD
Artist: Gene Vincent
Format: CD
Release Year: 1993
Record Label: Sundazed

Track Listing
1. Bird Doggin'
2. Born to Be a Rolling Stone
3. Poor Man's Prison
4. I'm a Lonesome Fugitive
5. Love Is a Bird
6. Hi-Lo Hi-Lili
7. I've Got My Eyes on You
8. Ain't That Too Much
9. Hurtin' for You Baby
10. Words and Music
11. Am I That Easy to Forget?
12. alternate take) Born to Be a Rolling Stone - (previously unreleased
13. alternate take) Poor Man's Prison - (previously unreleased
14. alternate take) Love Is a Bird - (previously unreleased
15. Hi-Lo - (previously unreleased, alternate take) Hi-Lili
16. alternate take) Hurtin' for You Baby - (previously unreleased
17. alternate take) Ain't That Too Much - (previously unreleased
18. alternate take) Lonely Street - (previously unreleased

Recorded in 1966 and 1967. Includes liner notes by Billy Miller.

Personnel: Gene Vincent (vocals).These mid-1960s recordings (mostly mono, with some stereo alternate takes), made with the cream of L.A. session people (including Glen Campbell and Seals and Crofts) show Gene Vincent adapting with surprising ease to the musical tastes of the day. There's little here that suggests his original stance as rockabilly Wildman. Instead, there's mostly some very tasty California folk-rock and pop, with the occasional canny detour into country (a terrific cover of Merle Haggard's then current hit "I'm a Lonesome Fugitive") or the deconstruction of a pop standard ("Hi-Lili Hi-Lo"). Vincent himself is in terrific voice, singing all of this with surprising delicacy.

Great CD with Glen Campbell on here-Gene Vincent!

-Arlw

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 07:27 am:

Cool blog about Gene Vincent and a 1966 album on which Glen and some members of the Champs provided the backing. Blistering guitar solo that could very well be Glen.

http://somethingelsereviews.com/2014/03 ... rget-1966/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-Cowpoke

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 05:07 pm:

That's a reliable source--same one I have! I too think that those 2 LP's would cover Glen's session work. He did record on that Miss Cindy-I had somebody confirm that for me. They are not always mentioned on websites or jacket covers, I just go by the info given-trust me, Glen is on there! Also-you will love this:

I went through some of my old 45's and found a Lorne Greene PROMO WHITE LABEL of "Ringo/Bonanza" and the producer is Joe Reisman, like from the album. These 2 songs happen to be from the LP on RCA "Welcome To The Ponderosa" which came out in 1964-same as the 45! How ironic is that to have Lorne Greene tucked away in a box!!!

I will check on the other 2 LP's as I would like to get them. Thank you.

-Arlw

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 06:40 am:

Arlw, here is more information about those July 1964 sessions, there are 3 of them in total.

http://countrydiscography.blogspot.com/ ... rne+greene" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All those 12 tracks ended up on the 1965 album "The Man".

There is also a 1962 session mentioned with Glen, 4 songs, which all ended up on the BONANZA - PONDEROSA PARTY TIME album. However the Miss Cindy session is also mentioned, but they don't list Glen as one of the musicians.

In short, both "BONANZA - PONDEROSA PARTY TIME" and "THE MAN" are albums with Glen as a studio musician (if the information on that website is reliable).

-Cowpoke

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 06:05 pm:

Albums by Lorne Greene

1961 Robin Hood of El Dorado — MGM
1962 Bonanza Ponderosa Party Time — RCA
1963 Young at Heart —
Christmas on the Ponderosa —
1964 Peter and the Wolf —
Welcome to the Ponderosa- 1964
1965 The Man —
American West —
Have a Happy Holiday 54
1966 Portrait of the West

Singles by Lorne Greene

1962 "My Sons My Sons" — — — — Robin Hood of El Dorado
1963 "I'm the Same Ole Me" — — — — single only
1964 "Ringo" — 1 21 1 Welcome to the Ponderosa
1965 "The Man" 3 72 — — The Man
"Ol' Tin Cup" — — — — Welcome to the Ponderosa
1966 "Five Card Stud" — 112 — — American West
"Daddy's Little Girl" — — — — singles only
"Waco" — — 50 —
1969 "It's All in the Game" — — — —
1970 "Daddy (I'm Proud to Be Your Son)" — — — —
"First Word" — — — —
1976 "Spirit of America" —

Trying to clarify this session work and I think I found it after working on this all afternoon! Listed above are the albums that Lorne Greene recorded along with his 45's.

The only LP's that GLEN CAMPBELL would be on is the one from 1962-BONANZA PONDEROSA PARTY TIME and this one contains the MISS CINDY TRACK. There is no LP that is MISS CINDY-sorry for the confusion.

They list 2 from 1964--PETER AND THE WOLF and WELCOME TO THE PONDEROSA, being that Glen recorded in July of 1964-2 times, July 15/16th, it is possible he is on one or BOTH of these LP's-you would have to check the credits but I am leaning more towards the "Welcome To The Ponderosa" LP.

On the single THE MAN which came out in 1965, it is available on a 45 rpm. You can ALSO buy the album called THE MAN and it contains both of the tracks listed on that 45. Ebay seems to have ALL of this listed so they aren't hard to locate, once you have a title!

-Arlw

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 08:14 pm:

The Man is also the name of an album by Lorne Greene and on that album is the other song Pop Goes The Hammer-matches the dates of Jan. 1965. So if you get the LP you don't need the 45--either way.

-Arlw

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 08:08 pm:

I don't have ANY of these--there are 3 LP's with Glen Campbell on them listed below by Lorne Greene and also 1 45 rpm also listed. These albums appear to all be on the RCA Label.

Lorne Greene

SESSIONS-Listed below are LP’s with Glen Campbell on them-they are all on RCA and the recording Artist is Lorne Greene-most of these are The Wrecking Crew People.

009 N2-PB-0433 MISS CINDY LSP-2583 BCD 15684 26 June 1962 [20:00-23:00] RCA Victor Studio, 6363 Sunset Blvd., Hollywood, CA - Dan Blocker (Glen Campbell, Allan Reuss, Billy Strange, Lawrence Wooten, Earl Palmer, Bobby Bruce [fiddle] + vocal chorus. Producer: Darol Rice)

15 July 1964 [20:00-24:00] RCA Victor Studio, 6363 Sunset Blvd., Hollywood, CA - Lorne Greene (Glen Campbell, Alton Hendrickson, Carol Kaye, Allan Reuss, Billy Strange, Morty Corb, Earl Palmer, Thomas Morgan, Gene Gafr, Donald Robertson + vocal chorus. Producer: Joe Reisman)

16 July 1964 [20:00-24:00] RCA Victor Studio, 6363 Sunset Blvd., Hollywood, CA - Lorne Greene (Glen Campbell, Alton Hendrickson, Carol Kaye, Allan Reuss, Billy Strange, Morty Corb, Earl Palmer, Gene Garf, Donald Robertson + vocal chorus. Producer: Joe Reisman

SINGLES-RCA Victor (1962-66)

There is just one single with Glen on it-also “Lorne Greene”
47-8490 The Man / Pop Goes The Hammer - 01-65

-Arlw