Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Glen Campbell's Studio Sessions

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
admin
Site Admin

Re: Glen's Studio Sessions

Post by admin »

Posted on Friday, December 20, 2013 - 08:02 pm:

Connie Stevens-“The Hank Williams Song Book”-Warner Brothers #1460-Monophonic High Fidelity. This Mono LP is a 1962 Release that came out either in June or July of 1962. W-1460. This Mono release Record of Connie Stevens has some guitar breaks on several of the tracks that she does, and they appear to be Glen Campbell. No musician credits are on this LP or on the liner notes, but this was Glen Campbell’s studio session days. The style and the manner that the guitar is played sounds just like Glen Campbell! This vinyl is a First Edition Release which makes it a special attribute. Connie Stevens sings the greatest songs of country music’s greatest composer-“The Hank Williams Song Book” The record label is gray in color with black and some white writing and the LP is in excellent condition, considering it’s 51 years old!.

The jacket is also almost mint condition. (8685)/(8686).On the label/jacket they mention “Vitaphonic High Fidelity.”

Glen Campbell sang most of these songs on his own in the 50’s through 2013! Glen even released his own Hank Williams Tribute as well. Most of these tracks are written by Hank Williams. This LP comes with the original inner sleeve with pictures of other artists on them. The jacket has a great picture of Connie Stevens, but for a 51 year old record in Mono, this has the sound of Glen Campbell written all over it as far as session work goes. Great and rare find.

If you are a true Glen collector, this is highly recommended to have!

-Arlw

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 - 02:49 pm:

Jerry Naylor (ex Crickets) Tower Records on the White Label. This is a Promotional 45. The number is #214 (45-60440/45-60218) - WOULD YOU BELIEVE/MY SPECIAL ANGEL This is an obscure 1960's country/pop 45 by Jerry Naylor. Glen Campbell plays studio guitar work on the song "Would You Believe." Very rare 45 with Glen Campbell on here. I emailed Jerry Naylor to confirm this and this is his reply -"Would You Believe" was recorded in late 1965 and Glen played on this session. This was recorded at Gold Star Recording Studio where Glen and I did all of our songwriting demos, so I know Glen is on this studio session demo song! Regards, Jerry "

Bobby Denton – Sweet And Innocent / Back To School – This is an original release on the JUDD Label from 1958-1959 era. Glen Campbell did studio guitar work on this recording. He did many recordings with Bobby Denton. This is when Glen Campbell was still in New Mexico. He then made the move to Los Angeles with Jerry Naylor to work with him! These are his studio session days. JUDD # 1001. (ZTSP- 28132), JUDD Records Inc. Just guitar work on here, no vocals for Glen! Glen Campbell was only about 22- 23 when he recorded this with Bobby Denton. What a young Glen Campbell!

Domino/Little Lonely – This is an original released 45 by Chad Allen on the SMASH Label from 1961.S-1720. What makes this 45 rare is Glen Campbell is credited on the “Little Lonely” side along with Jerry Jackson. They wrote this together! Some of the American Music Credits back in the early 60’s were Campbell-Naylor! (Jerry Naylor). There is another Chad Allen release of these same two tracks and it is on the LAMA Label. The number is 7779-mid 1961-very rare to locate. This 45 listed is quite rare also, especially with Glen Campbell’s name credited on here for writing the track! Interesting info: The Jerry Jackson half of the songwriting credit, I am reasonably sure, is the one and only Jerry Naylor!

This is a “Chad Allen” Promotional 45 on the White SMASH Label. # 1720. It is a re-issue as the original release of this recording was on Mercury Records and SMASH is a Division of Mercury Records Corporation. The tracks are “Little Lonely/Domino”. This 45 is for Broadcast Only and Is Not For Sale. S-1720/YW-21349. American Music Inc. “Little Lonely” was written by Glen Campbell and Jerry Naylor. What makes this 45 rare and unique is they have listed this on the Promotional 45 as this: (Cambell-Jackson) so this has a miss-print of Glen’s last name. The Jackson is correct as Jerry Naylor in the 60’s went by Jerry Jackson on his writing and some recordings. He listed it as “Jackson” only. Glen also did studio work with Jerry Naylor, but nice to see both of them team up on this record for Chad Allen. No date is listed but this had to be recorded sometime in the 60’s. On this Promo 45 “Little Lonely” is the Plug Side!

-Arlw

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2013 - 02:37 pm:

Jerry Naylor – Judee Malone/I’m Tired - #1123 (S-1067), a 1961 release on the Skyla Record Company. This 45 has a white label and is a Promo and Advanced Pressing-Not For Sale. “I’m Tired” was written by “JERRY JACKSON AND GLEN CAMPBELL” Glen’s name is credited on this 45 for that song. “Judee Malone” was written by “Jerry Capehart.” Side one which was co-written by Glen Campbell is a fast killer group vocal with violins!

It’s Only Make Believe/Leave Him And Come To My Arms – Jerry Naylor. This 45 was released on the TOWER RECORDS label # 139.I emailed Jerry Naylor to make sure that Glen Campbell is on this recording. “This was recorded in 1965, just after I left the Crickets and YES, Glen was playing on this session at Capitol for Mike Curb Productions.” This is a very rare 45 with Glen Campbell playing studio guitar work for Jerry Naylor. The two of them did quite a bit of recording during the 60’s and actually met one another in the late 50’s, in New Mexico.

Jerry Naylor – Stop Your Crying / You’re Thirteen – This 45 was released on the Blue SKYLA Label #1118. Glen Campbell is on this record playing studio guitar work. Recorded in 1961 at United Studio, for SKYLA Records.

Almost Persuaded/I’ll Get My Lie The Way I Want It – Jerry Naylor. Jerry was the lead vocalist on some Crickets items. This 45 is a 1962 release, which is the original record issued on the Tower Records Company. # 264. Glen Campbell was on both of these sessions doing studio guitar work. Joe Allison was the producer of these sessions for Capitol Records and for Tower Records. Joe Allison also co-wrote many songs with his wife Audrey! (45-60725) / (45-60726). I’ll Get My Lie The Way I Want It was written by Buddy Mize, Joe Allison, and Jerry Naylor. This record is 41 years old and this is an extremely rare copy in such great shape. Glen has recorded many records with Jerry Naylor in the early 60’s. Those were his studio recording session days.

Jerry Naylor – Sweet Violets/Temptation Leads Me –This is a Promotional 45 on the White Tower Records Label. # 327. Glen Campbell plays studio guitar work on this recording with Jerry. This is a scarce 60’s effort from the former lead singer of the post-Buddy Holly Crickets. Promotional and Not For Sale are stamped on this record. This was released in the early 60’s time frame. Produced by Joe Allison. Central Songs, Inc. (45-60728/45-60814).-Bettye Jean Music. Sweet Violets was written by Joe Allison and Danny Dill. Etched in the record is T-327, meaning this is a MONO recording. Glen has recorded hundreds of studio sessions with Jerry Naylor and still remains good friends today. This is a very rare promo 45-the record is about 40-42 years old.

-Arlw

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Saturday, December 07, 2013 - 10:58 pm:

Just found out about this from a very reliable source, so I wanted to post it for you so you can try and get a copy as well. I just found one on ebay!

You might look around for session info on the Connie Stevens' SINGS THE HANK WILLIAMS SONGBOOK, Warner W/WS 1460 LP, which dates June/July, 1962. I found a mono Lp; has guitar breaks on several tracks that might be GC. No musician credits are on the Lp liner notes, though. But I have no doubt that this is our guy!

This info was good enough for me to buy a Mono version and being that this is 1962, Glen did work with Connie Stevens and I bet anything that this info is correct and that Glen is on here!

Happy hunting-there are plenty to buy. Don't get the CD version--get the original release from 1962-I chose the MONO version!

-Arlw

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Monday, November 25, 2013 - 04:59 pm:

From my collection and by request-Dean Martin Material-Glen Campbell Studio Session Days! Doing better-thanks for all your kind words!

Lay Some Happiness On Me / Let The Good Times In, # 0703. Dean Martin on Reprise Records. Vocals and guitar are done by Glen.

Houston/I Will -# 0714. Dean Martin on Reprise Records. Studio guitar work is done by Glen.

Lay Some Happiness On Me/Think About Me - Dean Martin, Reprise Records - 0571. Promotional Record. Vocals and guitar are done by Glen Campbell.

Everybody Loves Somebody/A Million and One- Dean Martin- Reprise Records-0709. Glen does guitar work on here no date is given.

Glen Campbell Promo EP called “CAMPBELL COUNTRY” – 1972 release. This is a Glen Campbell promo EP for selling a Campbell 12 hour radio show. It also includes the single, “I Will Never Pass This Way Again.” on the B-side. It is a HARD COVERED EP on DIAMOND P ENTERPRISES # DPE-101. Issued in 1972. Cover condition is near mint and the record is mint, as it has never been played. Diamond P Enterprises Presents Glen’s Latest Hit Single. This EP is NOT FOR COMMERCIAL USE. Distributed by Hap Day Industries. The record plays at 33 1/3 rpm. The label is a brownish yellow color. Side 1 has NO WRITING AT ALL. The label is blank! There is a write up on the back of the jacket. This is a promotional release and 12 of them were made. “The new Glen Campbell 12 hour special-is the third in what will be a continuing series of Audio Biographies. Included are all the features which made them a star…like the artist himself, being involved in each one hour show”. “The all star supporting cast, which in “Campbell Country” includes John Wayne, Dean Martin, Dom DeLuise, Paul Lynde and Tommy Smothers…and the structuring of the show in twelve 55 minute segments which stand on their own so that you have the flexibility of programming the show in a variety of formats-from a 12 hour blockbuster to an hour a day. In this program there are 170 Campbell selections in the 12 hour show!” This is an extremely rare record and very valuable. I never located another one of these!!!

-Arlw

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Monday, November 11, 2013 - 07:03 pm:

Cowpoke-found the other LP-read it! Also I agree with you about this: I also have a hunch that the Onacrest LP might have preceded the Buckboard Record.

Glen Campbell Plays 12 String Guitar - Buckboard BBS-1010. A Product of Springboard International Records New Jersey. (SLX-01019). This LP label is Orange Colored and on side B they have “Glen Campbell Plays 12 –String Guit!-They have a typo on this side as they left off the ar on Guitar! Might be a rare LP/then again maybe not!

Still trying to get better--"One Day At A Time"!

-Arlw

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Monday, November 11, 2013 - 03:25 pm:

Glen is mentioned in "Memories Are Made of This: Dean Martin through his daughter's eyes", written by Dean Martin's daughter, Deana.

Glen played on some of her own records too. She calls Glen "so young and cute, a blonde mophead". :)

Parts of the book, including this quote, can be found on books.google.com.

-Cowpoke

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Monday, November 11, 2013 - 03:05 am:

Thanks for the information Arlw!

I do know that both Buckboard and Onacrest released vinyl albums of "Glen Campbell Plays 12 String Guitar", as I have pictures of both of them.

At this point, I have a hunch that the Onacrest album preceded the Buckboard album, but I will post about it later.

Thanks again, and get better soon!

-Cowpoke

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Sunday, November 10, 2013 - 11:11 pm:

Thanks for the well wsihes-still working on it!
While I have my eyes opened and still somewhat under the weather, bare with me: Here is that LP:

Glen Campbell Plays 12 String Guitar - ONA-5001, Onacrest label,Springboard International Records, Inc. No date given. Instrumental
Only. 10 total tracks on this LP- The label is yellow in color. Paid 10.00 for this 30 years ago at a record convention-MINT! Never did see them in a store but doesn't say they weren't sold there. Remember this is an LP--the other is NOT--different format-just happens to be the same tracks.

Buckboard is a product of Springboard International Records-this only relates to the 8-track Cowpoke--the Onacrest which is the LP format IS THE SAME as the 8 track--they are not 2 LP's--one just uses a different name on their release!

See below is the 8 track-As far as I KNOW-only ONE LP was released on this "Glen Campbell Plays 12-String Guitar."

This was also released in an 8-track form and is identical to this album-cover art and tracks with no date given. Speculate that most likely this is a 1974 release on this label but the tracks are actually earlier than that. Trust me, it's all Glen Campbell.

Hope that helped....

-Arlw

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Posted on Saturday, November 09, 2013 - 06:48 pm:

Take it easy ARLW. I hope it passes soon.

-Mike Joyce