Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums
Glen's time in Lindrith New Mexico (1951-1952)

Discussion of the Week: Will Glen's Legacy Live On?

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Mike Joyce

Re: Discussion of the Week: will Glen's legacy live on?

Post by Mike Joyce »

That's a fair point Randy, But I think original artists will still stand out from the crowd. Someone like Glen has been a big influence on others in the business,so it is not just about a few hits that he recorded but an indelible impression that he has left. There are older artists who are still well known, Hank Williams, Johnny Cash etc whose songs are still been covered by a younger generation. I think if they produced a back catalogue of great tunes, that goes a long way to giving the artist longevity. Some names go beyond generations. I.E Frank Sinatra, Bob Dylan,John Denver and everyone can think of a couple of their songs. They all have one thing in common. They are respected for what they achieved and for being a talent in their field.
BB King passed away recently. I didn't know his hit songs but I knew his name and I understood his place in the jazz music arena.
Inevitably it will come down to radio and TV playing the songs and giving the opportunity for the youngsters to hear the old songs. Thank goodness for things like Youtube, where people can get a taste of what they missed.

Randy

Re: Discussion of the Week: will Glen's legacy live on?

Post by Randy »

Maybe we can all answer that question if we eat enough of them "bran muffins" ..

You know it wouldn't surprise me a bit if before long,,, anyone can take a guitar (not really a real guitar) , plug it into a usb port and download any song they want and the computerized guitar will play it, along with a pitch correcting microphone which they already have now and the sound will come out decent ... I don't know though, I bet i could wreck that idea....

But with the internet, computers, I expect history now and even 50 years ago , stands a much better chance of getting revisited than ever before....

Not to mention, Glen's kids in the music business , who you just never know, when that star label could strike them (hope so and think it will btw),, giving the legacy a better chance of remaining relevant longer...

Cowpoke

Discussion of the Week: Will Glen's Legacy Live On?

Post by Cowpoke »

This article posted by Dee yesterday, raises some very interesting points. It asks the question whether the legacy of artists of the caliber of Glen will live on. The youth-centric songs that have always been a main ingredient of popular rock music are now also dominant within country music. Artists like Glen, who made music that also appealed very much to adults, both lyrically and musically, is in danger of being "forgotten" by younger generations.

Glen Campbell’s influence will live on long after contemporary ‘legends’ are forgotten
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... nce-makes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What do you think? Will people in 50 years still know who Glen Campbell is?

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...