Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums On The Net
(c) 2014-2020 GLEN CAMPBELL FORUMS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Glen Campbell Introduces The Beatles

ESSENTIAL HISTORY THAT MAY SURPRISE YOU * NEW MUSIC RELEASES * BEST VIDEOS * BREAKING NEWS
dee2

Glen Campbell Introduces The Beatles

Post by dee2 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:28 pm

GLEN CAMPBELL GOODTIME HOUR_TWO BEATLES SONGS PREMIERED APRIL 30 1969.jpg
GLEN CAMPBELL GOODTIME HOUR_TWO BEATLES SONGS PREMIERED APRIL 30 1969.jpg (62.13 KiB) Viewed 140 times

Do you remember when Glen Campbell introduced two promo music videos by THE BEATLES on THE GLEN CAMPBELL GOODTIME HOUR?

The air date was April 30, 1969. The videos promoted the release of The Beatles' single "GET BACK" / "DON'T LET ME DOWN", released on April 11, 1969, their first U.S. single in stereo.

With Glen's intro and feature of the single on The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour, the April 30th episode's Nielsen Rating broke all prior viewer ratings for the Goodtime Hour's premiere television season. The single reached number one in the United Kingdom, the United States, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand, the Netherlands, Australia, France, West Germany, Mexico, Norway, Switzerland, Austria, and Belgium.

"Get Back" and "Don't Let Me Down" were unique promos recorded during their London rooftop sessions in January of the same year. A different mix of "Get Back" later became the closing track on the album 'Let It Be' released one year later in May 1970, which was The Beatles' last album released just after the group split. "Don't Let Me Down" did not appear on the album.

I doubt we will ever see the complete Goodtime Hour episode from 4/30/69 due to the restricted music rights for these two songs. Recently, I had been tracking down the promo and will post more information about its availability for fans who may be interested in watching or owning it, the official release.

Incredibly, on July 6th, 2018, forty-nine years after its original air date, another fan found the holy grail promo for "Get Back" and has posted a brief clip of it on youtube. You can watch this clip here, with appreciation to the 2shellrock channel.

Watch for Glen's understated introduction. He had to have known then just how important this debut would be during an important television ratings Sweep Week. Did he realize later the promo not only made television history but also became a holy grail for fans of The Beatles?

Glen Campbell introduces The Beatles' music video "Get Back"!

c. D. Zink 2018 All Rights Reserved