Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums On The Net
(c) 2014-2020 GLEN CAMPBELL FORUMS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Glen Campbell and Jimmy Webb

ESSENTIAL HISTORY THAT MAY SURPRISE YOU * NEW MUSIC RELEASES * BEST VIDEOS * LOST ALBUM?
dee2

Re: Glen Campbell and Jimmy Webb

Post by dee2 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:18 pm

Jimmy Webb_The Cake and The Rain_Audio_CD.jpg
Jimmy Webb_The Cake and The Rain_Audio_CD.jpg (19.42 KiB) Viewed 45 times

August 2018 - Jimmy Webb is happy to announce The Cake and the Rain is now available in paperback and as an audiobook – narrated by Jimmy himself! The new formats are available from these book retailers:

PAPERBACK:
Amazon.com | Barnes & Noble

AUDIOBOOK:
Apple iTunes (download) | Amazon.com (CD)

(Note: On amazon, the Audiobook is free with an Audible trial for a 30-day period.) ;)

TWO REVIEWS POSTED ON JIMMY'S WEBSITE:

“I love Jimmy Webb’s songs, always have. They are dazzling and form the soundtrack of ours lives, from “MacArthur Park” to “Wichita Lineman” and dozens of songs in between. Jimmy’s new book, “The Cake and the Rain,” is dazzling too. The life and times of this Oklahoma kid turned songwriter is told with the same tender, funny and often heartbreaking phrases and visions he works into his best songs. In Jimmy’s voice I hear the sound of the railroad train, the music of the birds, the secret music of love gone wrong and friendship gone right- and life pouring, burning, running through his fingertips and his powerful visions of flying all the way out and all the way back home. Beautiful book. Get it, you need it. ”
— Judy Colllins

“There are popular songs, and there are great songs, and they are not always the same. . . It’s the fact that people are still singing and still listening to the songs Jimmy Webb started writing 50 years ago that’s a defining difference.”
— Patt Morrison, The Los Angeles Times

dee2

Re: Glen Campbell and Jimmy Webb - INFO FOR Seaudgive

Post by dee2 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:57 pm

Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums, Seaudgive!
I am still searching for the article you are looking for.

Are you interested in this type of train tour because of the Jimmy Webb connection?
Or perhaps an interest in traveling by rail with musicians/songwriters in general?

1. This is one company (maybe the same one that Jimmy used?) that will be offering perhaps their last such trip this coming fall 2018:
:arrow: http://www.rootsontherails.com/upcoming ... -west-2018
and
:arrow: https://www.facebook.com/groups/rootsrails/

2. In this article on Forbes' website, other new trips by rail are described with very awesome photos.
A typical Roots on the Rails train trip is limited to about 50 passengers because of the number of sleeping accommodations aboard. Musicians play and jam while the train is rolling — on chartered or public trains — and give concerts for the passengers during stopovers at hotels and other venues.
:arrow: See: https://www.forbes.com/sites/garystolle ... 9f0652dba5

Music-themed train travel with artists such as Jimmie Dale Gilmore would be great fun!

3. For information about Jimmy Webb's events (all concerts at this time), visit:
https://www.jimmywebb.com/

Some of Jimmy's fans have asked him to repeat the cross-country (U.S.) trip by train in the past. With fan interest, perhaps he will arrange for a similar trip in the future. I doubt it, but one never knows.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:34 am

Yep that link is dead. But the original post is from 2010 so... Sadly enough it's not available on archives.org. But... welcome to the forums!

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...

Seaudgive

Post by Seaudgive » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:39 am

admin wrote:
Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:48 pm
Posted on Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 07:37 pm:

Anyone interested in Jimmy Webb's songwriting craft may consider joining him and Jesse Winchester and some 70 other people on a Californian train ride from LA-Oakland in January 2011. Read about it at http://www.flyingunderradar.com/rails/FT11LO.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

I've been on a few of those trips, very rewarding, as you connect with the guys in ways you wouldn't ordinarily do.

From yet another Dane, Jens.

-Jens Koch
Url is not working at my end

dee2

Post by dee2 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:16 pm

Ohhh, okay Cowpoke. Now I understand that follow-up comment. I had taken it literally.
Thanks, you are right.
I wonder how many people in JW's audience understood it to be an insider joke?
It's possible that JW had introduced Matthews to the audience earlier in the show (or later).
Perhaps a forums member who attended the show could answer that question for us? Let's hear it from the Seattle fans!
And maybe I am the one who needs a small vacation!
Thanks again! Dee

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:45 am

Dee it appears that the comment about Dave Matthews was a joke...
A few minutes later, a friend of mine was returning to his seat and leaned over to tell me he had just seen Matthews in Jazz Alley's bathroom. My first thought was, "Oh, [...]! I wonder if he heard—" then the penny dropped and I realized we'd all just witnessed an excellent inside joke among, if not friends, then certainly among colleagues

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...

dee2

Post by dee2 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:52 pm

Just one additional comment about the JW interview in print (link posted below) after re-reading it.
Only my opinion!

Recognizing Jimmy Webb's status as Chairman Emeritus, Songwriters Hall of Fame, and with consideration to his tremendous God-given talents as a songwriter and composer, I am taken aback by this comment he made during the interview:
"Dave Matthews doesn't know [...] about songwriting! He couldn't write his way out of a paper bag!"
I am unfamiliar with the artist DM and his penned music. Perhaps the guy can't even write his own name. (joke) But did DM, a fellow songwriter and winner of multiple Grammy and ASCAP Awards, deserve this flaming remark by JW? I don't believe so. Personally, I give credit to anyone who is practicing and living and working his craft (awards or no awards) in the music business (or any business for that matter).
Maybe JW just needs a small vacation.
Dee

dee2

Post by dee2 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:57 am

I admire Jimmy Webb for speaking his truth.

Jimmy Webb Is Still Pissed at Kanye West About "Famous"
by Sean Nelson • Jun 29, 2018 at 11:29 am

"Do What You Gotta Do"

"...I read a more essential, and possibly even equally primal element in (Jimmy) Webb's grudge: Resentment over a lack of deference.--Sean Nelson"

https://www.thestranger.com/slog/2018/0 ... out-famous

dee2

Post by dee2 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:33 am

Bringing this popular topic back up to the top of All Things Glen again.

Also....two recent BBC 2 Radio programmes, "Johnnie Walker meets...", end soon:

Part 1 - Glen Campbell, Fifth Dimension, The Supremes

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b39jr7
In the first of 2 one hour programmes Johnnie Walker discovers the stories behind the only artist (JIMMY WEBB) ever to win Grammy Awards for his music, lyrics and orchestration. Apart from Burt Bacharach and Hal David, he was one of the first songwriters to be recognised for his achievements and the luminaries who have sung his songs include his long-time collaborator Glen Campbell, Art Garfunkel, Frank Sinatra, Donna Summer, Barbra Streisand and Linda Ronstadt amongst the many.

He has been labelled as the "Cole Porter of The Stars" or worse "Pop Music's Mozart". He was "the son of a preacher man" and was restless to break into the World of popular music penning hits as diverse as "MacArthur Park" to "Up Up And Away".

We learn how and when he met his idols Glen Campbell and
Elvis Presley and how he devised the achingly beautiful lyrics "I need you more than want you and I want you for all time" in "Wichita Lineman" and the bizarre "someone's left the cake out in the rain" for "MacArthur Park", which may have been credited to the poet WH Auden. It's a fascinating tale which Jimmy Webb tells by way of the keyboard and a frank chat with Johnnie Walker.

Part 2 - Glen Campbell, Fifth Dimension, The Supremes

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b39jlf
In the second of 2 one hour programmes, Jimmy Webb tells us how he turned down a lucrative deal to star in Las Vegas and opted for the rock and roll roots of the Monterey Pop Festival playing with the notorious Wrecking Crew. He talks about coming to England and meeting The Beatles and The Rolling Stones. His lyrics continued to mesmerise with songs like "Didn't We" and "By The Time I Get To Phoenix". Johnnie Walker sits beside him as he plays his songs and tells their stories at his beloved keyboard.

(Text from BBC's program guide)

dee2

Post by dee2 » Fri May 18, 2018 7:44 pm

MacArthur Park+Vintage Postcard-gcf.jpg
MacArthur Park+Vintage Postcard-gcf.jpg (362.76 KiB) Viewed 640 times
Big anniversary for Jimmy Webb:
Fifty years ago on May 11, 1968, Richard Harris's recording of "MacArthur Park" written by Jimmy Webb debuted at #79 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. His recorded version was 7 minutes and 20 seconds in length. DJs apparently loved it because it gave them an icing-sweet break away from the mic and studio.

When MacArthur Park hit the airwaves, listeners either loved or hated it. In fact, for 50 long years now, listeners have either loved or hated it.

In the last decade, however, perhaps beginning with David Letterman's spoof with MacArthur Park staged on the Tonight Show (with Jimmy joining the show's band and Letterman's antics), it seems to have become a cool thing to have fun with the song, kinda like "we hate it so much we love it!", if this makes any sense.

Jeff Tamarkin, writer for CLASSIC BANDS on the web, writes about the phenomenon of Webb's "Recipe for a Hit", trying to get at the song's most basic ingredient at:

:arrow: http://bestclassicbands.com/macarthur-p ... -10-27-17/

Excerpt from Tamarkin's article:
If you want to think it’s literally about leaving a cake out in the rain and lamenting the permanent loss of the recipe, you have every right to. Or you can go with what Webb recently said in another interview: “It’s a metaphor for the good and the bad—and sometimes the ugly.”
Strange, MacArthur Park, the actual park, may be one of the most infamous parks in the world because of Jimmy Webb's song, but it looks insignificant in the vintage, sentimentalizing postcard displayed above. The postcard reveals a large freeway, Wilshire Boulevard, visually dividing the park's lake and leading into a megalopolis, the "City of Angels," Los Angeles, the center of the USA's film, television and music industries. On this nostalgic postcard, Wilshire Boulevard appears to marginalize the park in the same way music critics have marginalized the very song itself.

MacArthur Park, the song, well, it is classic pop in the truest sense of the art form, the kind of lasting art that hasn't melted away for the last 50 years and likely will not melt away in the next 50 years.

Outside of the cake and the rain and the melting and not being able to take it, there are lyrical lines of striking true poetry at the core of this "cake." Didn't these lines soar when Glen Campbell sang them?
There will be another song for me
For I will sing it
There will be another dream for me
Someone will bring it
I will drink the wine while it is warm
And never let you catch me looking at the sun
And after all the loves of my life
After all the loves of my life
You'll still be the one
I will take my life into my hands and I will use it
I will win the worship in their eyes and I will lose it
I will have the things that I desire