Welcome to Glen Campbell Forums

Dennis Lambert & Larry Weiss Talk About Rhinestone Cowboy

REMEMBERING GLEN CAMPBELL - GLEN CAMPBELL WITH CARS - GLEN CAMPBELL MUSEUM
Mike Joyce

Re: Dennis Lambert & Larry Weiss Talk About Rhinestone Cowboy

Post by Mike Joyce » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:57 am

Well said cowpoke. I am listening to Re-united today and it is a go to album when I want to just listen to a good solid set of songs. I guess it is harder to find great songs because of the way the industry has changed. The Jimmy Webb's of the world are not able to produce songs for other artists like they used to because a lot of artists tend to be almost self sufficient writers and performers, which is what record labels want now a days. Of course it is also more difficult for artists as listeners tend to download their favourite tracks and not bother with the whole album. This I think is a great shame as some tunes take longer to sink in. I have said before that I have listened to an album which I had neglected for several years, only to find a track which previously had passed me by, but is now a favourite track. This has happened on some of my Nanci Griffiths and Mary Chapin Carpenter CD's. Of course if you don't buy the album that opportunity to re-discover a new favourite old song is lost.
Perhaps we are lucky to have been born at a time when we could explore and enjoy the latest offerings from our favourite artists at a much more leisurely pace and allow songs to grow on us over time.
I am beginning to sound old.
Mike

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:30 pm

In fact come to think of it, I once read an article about Tanya Tucker in which a reviewer noted that every first album that Tanya made for a new record label was a killer.
The same happened with Glen after he left Capitol. Glens first album for Atlantic (Old home town), MCA (Still within the sound of my voice), Capitol Nashville (Walkin’ in the sun) and New Haven (Show me your way) was a great one. I think signing with a new label created a certain energy for both Glen and the label which resulted in some of his best work.

I'm a carefree, range ridin', driftin' cowpoke...

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:08 pm

Hi Mike I get what you’re saying. I didn’t mean to suggest that all the albums that came between Basic and MGC weren’t any good. There are some very good albums in there. Old Home Town and It’s Just a Matter of Time are two favorites of mine. Still within the sound of my voice is a strong album as well as is Walkin’ in the Sun. But do they reach the heights of Reunion, Rhinestone Cowboy or Basic? To me they don’t. That level of artistry I am glad to say, Glen reached again with MGC and Ghost.

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:58 am

Not sure I would agree you there Cowpoke. I thought "Light years" and "still within the sound of my voice" were pretty good. Other albums like "Old home town" and "letter to home" has a number of good tracks but some weak one also. I guess it depends on the taste of the listener. They obviously didn't have the wider appeal of the pop world at the time, but they did have some gems on them. I have been listening to some of the early albums recently and I really love glen's voice and the arrangements on these tracks. Such as "your young and you'll forget" and "love is a lonesome river" etc. I realised it's easier to play these songs at the folk club as I know the lyrics well and I just need to organise the chord progressions. They seem to go down well as most people aren't familiar with them but they still stand up as good songs.
Mike

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:24 pm

Yes Basic was a great album. In fact to me it was the last in a string of great albums that started with Houston (1974). Only with Meet Glen Campbell and Ghost on the Canvas did Glen reach that level again.

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:06 pm

Nicely done Cowpoke, I never realised that. I agree, I really loved that song too, it was a real standout on the album. I also loved I'm gonna love you. I thought It was a nice touch doing an instrumental version of the song at the end. It was a shame the album didn't make as big an impact as Glen had hoped. I remember it was said Glen thought that Michael Smotherman was going to be his new Jimmy Webb.

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:31 am

That sounds great Mike. Would love to do that.
Btw, I checked and yep Can You Fool from the Basic album was produced by Lambert and Potter as well! Love that song btw.

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:45 pm

If you're free some night, perhaps we could make an out of hours visit to the Capitol records vaults. I am sure we could unearth at least a dozen tracks. :D

Cowpoke

Post by Cowpoke » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:18 am

Wasn’t the first single from the Basic album produced by Lambert and Potter? I will have to check. Still if they really did another half album were still missing some tracks. Or maybe Glen re-recorded some of them with the new producer.

Mike Joyce

Post by Mike Joyce » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:45 pm

Hi Cowpoke/jay, The article refers to two and a half albums being recorded with Glen. Rhinestone and Bloodline. What happened with the rest of those recordings. I know "Quits" is one track which was added as a bonus on the CD release, but what were the other tracks. Presumably about 5-6 additional tracks must have been recorded before the bust up.